Frequently Asked Questions

Nurse Anesthesia Program FAQs


When is the application deadline?

October 1 for the next Summer (e.g. October 1, 2019 for Summer 2020 admission).

What is required to apply?

Please see the Admissions Guidelines for detailed application requirements and procedures. Non-application requirements to be eligible to apply.

  • Baccalaureate degree
  • Minimum undergraduate cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale
  • Completion of chemistry course within the past 5 years (B or better; 3 credits or more); must be enrolled or complete at the time of application
  • Satisfactory completion (B or better) of a 3-credit course in statistical methods
  • U.S. Registered Nurse (RN) license
  • GRE scores required for cumulative GPA of less than 3.5
I have my bachelor’s degree in non-nursing content, but I am an RN. Am I eligible to apply?

Yes. Georgetown’s program requires applicants to hold a Bachelor’s degree to be eligible to apply.  


How long is the Nurse Anesthesia program?

The Nurse Anesthesia program is a full-time only program, lasting 3 years.

What is the structure of program curriculum?

The program is structured into 2 phases. The first phase is front-loaded, classroom, didactic learning, supplemented by work in clinical simulation and the anatomy/cadaver lab. The second phase is the clinical and research project phase, consisting of 50-60 hours + on- call per week of clinical work.

What experience do I need to apply to the Nurse Anesthesia program?

A minimum of 2 years of full-time ICU experience as an RN by the application deadline is required. The adult Surgical ICU (SICU) is preferred, but other ICUs are acceptable.

Can I gain experience in another critical care setting other than the ICU?

A minimum of 1 year of full-time critical care experience is a national requirement for admission to any Nurse Anesthesia program. However, Georgetown’s program requires 2 years of ICU experience.

I will have nearly 2 years of experience upon applying, but will have the required experience at the start date of the program. Am I eligible to apply?

The minimum experience required, while a national requirement, is also to ensure clinical success of students. To be a competitive candidate, applicants generally have 3-4 years of ICU experience.

What are the average GPAs of students in the program?

The average cumulative undergraduate GPA of enrolled students is 3.7. The average cumulative science GPA of enrolled students is 3.5.

How many students apply and how many students are admitted?

Around 200 students apply, with 20-25 enrolled for the summer semester. The admit rate is generally about 25% of applicants.

Is it possible to work during the program?

No, working is not possible during the program due to the rigorous, demanding academic coursework during the first phase, and the intensive clinical schedule during the second phase.

I have completed graduate level coursework at another institution. Is it possible to transfer these courses if I am admitted to the program?

Any coursework completed towards another degree is not eligible to be transferred. It is challenging to transfer coursework into the Nurse Anesthesia program due to the highly specific curriculum and course components.

If I am admitted to the program can I begin taking coursework prior to the summer semester?

There are no courses available at Georgetown University over the spring session prior to the program beginning in the summer.

How many hours of clinical work can I expect to complete during the program?

The national minimum requirement is 465 hours, however, students noramally exceed this number.

Where are the clinical placements?

Clinical sites span the Washington, D.C.-MD-VA region, and are comprised of a variety of specialties. Students within the program will have a variety of clinical sites to gain exposure in working with an assortment of types of anesthesia and clinical settings. Clinical locations range from Richmond, VA to Baltimore, MD.

What is the passing rate on NCE boards (National Certification Exam)?

We are proud of our current 100% pass rate!

Where do graduates work after completing the program?

Once passing boards, graduates are eligible to practice in a variety of settings, including ambulatory surgical centers, pain clinics, physicians’ offices, and traditional hospital operating rooms. Some CRNAs even have independent contracts arranged with hospitals or physicians.


I completed my BSN outside the U.S., do you need those transcripts?

All foreign transcripts need to be evaluated by World Education Services (WES). Applicants will need to request the WES ICAP evaluation, and have the official copy sent to Georgetown.

English is not my first or native language. Is the TOEFL required?

Applicants are required to take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) if their native language is not English. A minimum score of 600 (paper-­‐based test) or 250 (computer-­‐based tests) or 100 (iBT test) on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) is required.

I have my RN license from another country. Am I still eligible to apply?

The first step is to have CGFNS verify your foreign credentials. A U.S. RN License must be provided at the time of application. An applicant is not reviewed without the NCLEX passed and the U.S. nursing license provided to Georgetown University NHS.

*Please note: Georgetown University does not issue Social Security Numbers (SSN). Please contact the Social Security Administration regarding SSN information and needs.

Do I need U.S. nursing experience?

Yes. Our programs require a minimum of 2 years US nursing experience as an RN to be eligible to apply. This requirement is to ensure that applicants have a foundational understanding of the clinical structure and health system within the U.S. prior to entering any clinical placements within the program.


Is graduate student housing available?

No, Georgetown University does not provide graduate student housing.

Where do students live during the program?

Students will live within a reasonable commuting distance during the first phase of the program, and generally closer to their clinical sites during the second phase of the program (or they may choose to remain in the same location). Many students will rent a town house or share apartments in the Georgetown vicinity, or nearby in Virginia (Arlington, Falls Church, Alexandria) or Maryland.

Where can I find information on housing?

For off campus housing information and resources, please visit the Office of Off Campus Housing website.

Do I need a car? Is there parking on campus?

Depending upon where students live, it is often not necessary to have a car during the didactic portion of the program if within commuting distance to campus.

Students will need to have a car to access clinical sites during the second half of the program. There is no student parking on campus for undergraduate or graduate students.

What public transportation resources are available?

The Metro does not run directly to campus, however, Georgetown has free campus shuttles that circulate from campus to each of the Dupont Circle and Rosslyn metro stops, as well as along Wisconsin Ave. Additionally, campus is served by MetroBus lines. Please visit the Office of Transportation Management website.


Please contact the Office of Student Financial Services for information about funding, tuition, aid, and other financing questions. (202.687.4547)

What is the tuition for the program?

Please see the Office of Student Financial Services for the current rates.

Is there financial aid available? If so, how do I apply?

Complete information on need-based financial aid and supplemental loan programs is available from the Georgetown University Office of Student Financial Services. The Office of Student Financial Services can help you apply for need-based financial aid, download applications, and obtain detailed information about the many options available for meeting graduate school costs. The Office of Student Financial Services can also be reached by phone at (202) 687-4547.

How do most students finance their graduate education?

Students who are financing their education generally take advantage of their federal loan eligibility. Students who apply for federal financial aid may be eligible for a combination of subsidized and unsubsidized loans. Before considering a private educational loan it is advised that students speak to their financial aid counselor to learn more about these federal loan options. Detailed information on federal loans can be found on the Office of Student Financial Services website.